Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Dreadmill

The treadmill isn't something I like to associate with generally.
I get bored and feel like I don't have control of my legs... two things I like to avoid in life.
However, due to the fact that I'm spending the week in a house equipped with a "state of the art" fitness center, I figured just this once I could throw caution to the wind and jump on the ol' rotating belt of fun. After all, I would much rather Mill-it than stare in confusion at the free weights.

I managed to run 5 miles before I was:
A. Tired of running, and
B. Tired of staring at the wall.

I ran without having to deal with the weather, discomfort of asphalt, or the simple inconvenience of actually leaving the house.

Despite all that however, I wasn't too excited about the experience.

Call me old fashioned, but I just like being outside. I like the accomplishment of simply making it from one point to another and being able to visualize how far you've gone. There's something weird to me about running a distance and not moving an inch from where you started...

So will I ever run on a treadmill again? Yes.
Do I silently judge and ridicule those who make the treadmill their primary running outlet? No.

But I will say this: Give me outdoor running any day.
I'll save the treadmill for special occasions when I want to torture myself.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world! You did 0.5 Hartner! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 Miles on the Mill, Madster..you are a beast, nice! The mill is no fun unless your friend is next to you on one, and you are staring at the blizzard blowing outside. Well, maybe still, it's not that fun. Big hugs. No, I'm not like my mother and will cry when I read your blog:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. 'Ol rotating belt of fun...too funny. I always preferred running outside myself, but the treadmill was great for speed intervals. So much more control over your pace. However, I don't think I ever ran more than 6 or 7 miles on one. I don't see how people do their long runs on them. No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crying is also good for your heart...much like running on a treadmill, just different that's all. But keep up the pace my dear...both physically and emotionally...a mind/body balance.

    ReplyDelete